Regular board meetings open to the public and media, are held on the fourth Monday night of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Educational Services Center with the exception of May and December.
Board workshops are held on the second Monday of each month with the exception of May, July and December. Workshop topics and locations are determined by the board, and are advertised well in advance.
Special meetings, also open, are held on call.
Executive sessions, used for discussion of sites, litigation, negotiations, and personnel are closed. No action is ever taken by the board in any executive session.
Board Meeting Agenda
The agenda serves as the framework for transaction of public business. Detailed information is provided by the Superintendent in advance of each meeting. The formal document, noting varied items of business is posted at the Educational Services Center, 5201 East Main Street, on the Carmel Clay Schools' website, and forwarded to media representatives prior to any scheduled session. Business categories for the agenda include:
- Public Comment: When a stakeholder uses the “Request to Speak” sign-up card (available on the front table at the entrance to the meeting site) and submits it to the Board secretary at least five minutes in advance of the start of any Regular meeting, the stakeholder may address the Board for a specified number of minutes. Public Participation is the only time during a Regular meeting when members of the public may speak to the Board. No Public Participation occurs during workshops.
- Consent: This portion of the agenda is voted upon by the Board and contains routine matters related to the day-to-day operation of CCS.
- Reports: CCS staff members give reports about various topics to the Board that provide information and details.
- Discussion: Discussion provides a time for the Board to discuss ideas, programs, proposals, and other issues. Discussion is not a time for Action by the Board but, often, occurs when the topic for Discussion will be offered for Action at an upcoming meeting or workshop.
- Action: Action is the time during an agenda when the Board will talk about, and vote upon, an idea, program, proposal, or issue.
Board Meeting Minutes
Minutes of Regular and Special sessions include all formal Board motions and formal Board actions. When pertinent to Board action, data may be attached to the Minutes. After being approved by the Board, Minutes become official and are open for inspection by the public. Public can access the minutes during regular business hours (Monday through Friday) at the Educational Services Center or by visiting BoardDocs.