Carmel Elementary opened its doors in 1961 as Carmel’s second elementary school. Carmel Elementary, located at 101 4th Avenue SE, has a rich history in the heart of Carmel.
Our school serves a population of approximately 590 students, kindergarten through grade 5. We are a diverse community of learners with a wide range of backgrounds and income levels. Carmel Elementary is one of three Title One schools in Carmel and became eligible for federal funding during the 2002-2003 school year. Over one hundred students receive additional tutoring and small group help through this program. Gifted and talented services as well as special education services are offered to all qualifying students. Fifty-one students receive English as a New language services.
School facilities include:
- Traditional closed-concept school with twenty-four newly remodeled classrooms
- Large group instruction classroom, Media Center, computer lab, full service cafeteria and gymnasium, art and music classrooms
- Two outdoor enclosed courtyards
- Playground for school and community members
- Adjacent football and baseball fields
- All areas are handicap accessible
The Carmel Elementary School Community is committed to providing challenging educational opportunities that build positive attitudes towards lifelong learning.