Carmel High School is proud to be an IB World School offering the IB Diploma Programme. The Diploma Programme is a junior and senior year curriculum aimed at students who are motivated to participate in a challenging and rewarding curriculum of advanced coursework. The internationally focused curriculum encourages students to critically examine course content, reflect on their own learning, develop a strong sense of their own identity, and build appreciation for diverse perspectives from other cultures.
Full Diploma Programme:
The IB Diploma Programme emphasizes transdisciplinary learning and requires students to study courses across six disciplines:
- Studies in Language & Literature – Literature offered
- Language Acquisition – French, German, Latin, & Spanish offered
- Individuals and Societies – History of the Americas, Business Management, & Psychology offered
- Sciences – Biology, Physics, Environmental Systems & Societies, and Sports, Exercise, Health Science offered
- Mathematics – Math Analysis & Approaches and Math Applications & Intepretation offered
- The Arts – Visual Art, Film, Music, & Theatre offered
Students who pursue the IB Diploma also participate in three unique elements:
The Extended Essay
Theory of Knowledge
Creativity, Activity, and Service
Individual IB Course Work:
In place of pursuing the full IB diploma, students at CHS may opt to take individual IB courses during their junior and senior years. All IB courses carry a full weight and can lead to university credit after completion of the coursework and the assessments.
To see a full listing of IB Course Offerings and additional details about our Diploma Programme, please reference the CHS Program of Studies.
Why choose the IB Diploma?
Certainly, an IB diploma yields tremendous academic benefits and is widely recognized by universities around the globe, but perhaps the most unique aspect of the IB Diploma route is the "IB Family" environment. Students pursuing the diploma are together in almost every class and as a result are part of a supportive learning community that creates appreciation for differing perspectives and builds tight bonds between our Diploma students and teachers.
What should I do if I am interested in the IB Diploma?
- Email any questions you have about the International Baccalaureate Diploma to our program coordinator, Mrs. Katie Overbeck.
- Students can attend the IB Callout meetings for current freshmen & sophomores offered in October each year.
- Parents can attend the information sessions offered at Sophomore Scheduling Night (November) & Academic Transition Night (January) each year.
- Please inform your counselor of your interest in the International Baccalaureate Diploma route or individual IB classes to get started.
- Follow @IBCarmel on Twitter to learn more about the unique learning style that the International Baccalaureate Diploma offers students.
Can IB students participate in the Transition to College Program at CHS?
Yes, IB coursework can be used for eligibility for seniors to participate in the release periods available in our Transition to College Program. Our full diploma students can also create a schedule with their counselors that allows for some release periods.
Exam Sign up for 2020 has ended
Registration Takes Place in October Each Year