School Social Worker

Sarah BruBaker

Sarah BruBaker


Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year! As a school family, we want to make sure all College Wood students and their families are able to meet their basic needs. We know that when students and families have difficulty meeting basic financial, medical, social and emotional needs, these areas of need may negatively impact students in multiple life areas, including school performance.

College Wood Elementary is privileged to have a close connection with multiple Hamilton County community agencies which are able to support families in the areas linked below.


If you are interested in being considered for any of the resources available, please complete the referral form listed below.


Community agencies and their resource opportunities are ever-changing. This referral form allows us to provide you with the most up-to-date information on resources available. The replies to this form will come directly to our School Social Worker, Sarah Brubaker, and will be kept confidential from all other Carmel Clay School staff and students.

We understand that each family’s situation is unique. If you would like to speak to our School Social Worker directly about your situation, you can contact her at or by phone at (317) 733-6430 ext. 2058.


What is a Student Services Coordinator?

A Student Services Coordinator's role in Carmel-Clay Schools is very similar to that of a school counselor. A Student Services Coordinator is a specially trained staff member who provides guidance and support to all students.

What are the qualifications of a Student Services Coordinator?

A Masters of Social Work (MSW) degree. As well as knowledge of various elementary school programs, including curriculum, special programs and intervention processes.

What does a Student Services Coordinator do?

A Student Services Coordinator's responsibilities are truly varied! A Student Services Coordinator can:

  • Help students develop a positive attitude toward school and learning
  • Help students develop positive relationships with peers, parents, teachers, and families
  • Help students improve various social skills, such as coping strategies and friendship skills
  • Help students deal with personal concerns, crises, school-related problems, home and family concerns, friendship issues, and any other issue that interferes with learning
  • Help ease the transitions between school settings
  • Plan and implement a variety of programs and activities to enhance the personal, social and emotional development of students
  • Be a liaison for parents, teachers, and students
  • Be a resource for parents interested in general education curriculum, special education, challenge testing, General Education Interventions, standardized testing, character education, and the general well-being of all students.

How can a student be referred to the Student Services Coordinator?

  • Self-referral
  • Teacher referral
  • Parent referral
  • Administrative referral
  • Special services referral
  • Peer referral