As a result of its fundraising efforts and volunteerism, the CTE PTO is able to provide and/or support an impressive array of learning enhancements, supplies, curriculum materials, technologies, programs, clubs and events to enhance the student experience at CTE. Below are details about some of our recent offerings.
- Special School Projects: CTE and the PTO work together to identify projects for the betterment of the school. These projects are approved by CTE, funded by the PTO, and meet applicable Carmel Clay School District guidelines. Past projects have included the purchase of a rockwall for the CTE gymnasium, the creation of a collaborative art project for the CTE hallways, and adding a walking/running path onto CTE property. The 2019-2020 All-School Project was the installation of a new Gaga Ball Pit in the 3-5th grade playground.
- BizTown Curriculum Materials and Supplies: CTE fifth graders participate in the Junior Achievement BizTown program. BizTown is a teacher-led curriculum that enhances student understanding of work ethic, economics, leadership, and teamwork. The PTO pays for each student’s BizTown curriculum materials
- Classroom Supplies: Annually, each CTE teacher is given a monetary sum with which he/she may purchase supplies for his/her classroom.
- MakerSpace: In 2015, the PTO decided to fund the creation of a MakerSpace at CTE. Each CTE student has an opportunity to explore the MakerSpace during his/her weekly Media Center time. The MakerSpace is intended to: inspire creativity and innovation, foster collaboration and a “growth mindset,” increase student interest in science and math, and help students become “producers.” Proposed MakerSpace equipment includes: iPads, littleBits, K’NEX, Snap Circuits, Makedo Cardboard Construction, LEGOs, art supplies, Roominate, a green screen, various robotics, 3-D printing pens and more.
- Student Council Supplies: The PTO provides funding to the CTE student council (which consists of fourth and fifth graders) for requested supplies. Additionally, the PTO supports the student council’s annual fundraiser (i.e., Riley Walk-A-Thon).
- BrainPOP Online Learning: The PTO pays for 24-hour access to this award-winning online educational resource for CTE students.
- Literary Subscriptions: The PTO works with CTE teachers and staff to purchase educational magazine subscriptions that can be used in the classroom. Each CTE teacher chooses the magazine appropriate for his/her class. Recent purchases have included National Geographic Young Explorer, Scholastic News, Storyworks, and TIME for Kids.
- Raz-Kids: The PTO pays for students’ access (at home and in school) to this online leveled reading program.