We hope you had a restful and restorative break! As we launch into the last few weeks of school, here are some technology updates:
Email Signatures on Mobile
With the new password changes and updates to email, you may need to update the email signature for your email on mobile. It can be a simpler version of the signature file you use in Outlook on your computer, but it should list your name, title, building, and basic contact information. Much better than the default ad for your phone or email client!
Use the guides linked below to help create a signature, depending on which email tool you use.
Lots of Canvas updates on the roadmap, but here are three really nice ones that we wanted to highlight:
- Assignments: Webcam Submissions - students can now submit via the webcam on any device
- Modules: New Quizzes Creation Support - create a New Quiz directly from a module
- Speedgrader: Submission Reassignments - return a submission to a student within Speedgrader for the student to resubmit
- New Recording Toolbar - The toolbar is brand new and now includes stickers, shapes, and tools to help your teachers capture and focus their students’ attention. And, teachers can minimize and move the toolbar anywhere they’d like.
- New Blur Tool - Teachers can now blur anything on screen with just one click. This new tool can help your educators obscure private information, focus student attention, block out visual "noise", and so much more.
- New Title Clips - Title clips are available now. Have your teachers try using a title clip to give each video a name, break up their awesome content with descriptive clips, or allow students to see information in multiple modalities.
Enable live transcription/closed captioning. This is such an important tool, not just for deaf and hard of hearing students, but also to help reinforce language skills, and for students who may be participating in the Zoom call from a noisy location.
First, enable live transcriptions for your account
- Sign in to the CCS staff portal and select Zoom.
- In the navigation panel, click Settings.
- Click the Meeting tab.
- Verify that Closed Caption is enabled.
- If the setting is disabled, click the toggle to enable it. If a verification dialog displays, click Turn On to verify the change.
- With Closed Captioning enabled, the option to enable live transcription should appear directly below as Enable live transcription service to show transcript on the side panel in-meeting. Check this to enable live transcription.
Now in your meetings, you'll see Live Transcript as a menu option
Select Enable Auto-Transcription
The button will turn blue
Now, your instruction will be captioned!